Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Tips for Gaining Hunting Access on Private Land

My dream the other night—a true story, incidentally—is Freudian confirmation that the hunting season is close. Very close.

Standing in the cab of his combine, I was asking a farmer permission to hunt his land. 

It was a perfect evening in late October. Minutes before, just outside his long, meandering driveway, I sat in my truck and watched mallards by the dozens pitch into a low spot in his corn field. I couldn’t see the water, but I knew it was partially flooded.

I wanted that spot locked up for the morning, and I was ready, if duty called, to beg and/or grovel to seal the deal. I was salivating.

The good news: I didn’t have to beg. The bad news: I didn’t have to beg. He turned me down coldly and dispassionately before I could open my mouth.

“It’ll never happen again,” he said, referring to a group of hunters who tore up parts of his fields and minimum maintenance roads. “I’m not giving permission to hunt my land anymore.”

Ouch. Getting rebuffed stung, but he had a point: We hunters can be our own worst enemies.


I have but anecdotal evidence to support this thesis, but it seems like getting permission to hunt private land nowadays is much harder than it was even a few short years ago. Sure, more and more land is being leased or is spoken for in one manner or another. But more landowners, it seems to me, aren’t granting permission because they’ve had a few unsavory experiences with a few unscrupulous hunters.

Hunters who hope to develop and maintain a positive relationship with landowners would be well advised to start looking at things from their perspective. Farmers and ranchers covet their land, so it stands to reason they would cast a skeptical eye at anyone who asks for permission to hunt. Gates left open, livestock shot accidentally, fires started unwittingly, fields and roads torn asunder, among other misdeeds—all are legitimate landowner concerns.

Still, many landowners like to show off their spread (and its wildlife) and appreciate the fact that hunters keep wildlife populations in check. Bottom line: Hunters can tip the “go ahead and hunt” balance sheet by building relationships with landowners. 

Here are some tips and thoughts to consider:

# Getting permission. I have developed relationships with several landowners over the years, even with some who rebuffed my original overture for permission. For every contact I make in the field, I write down their names, addresses and phone numbers, and keep it on file. It’s paid off for me more times than I can recount, and it likely will for you too.

Throughout the year (and not just during the hunting season), I call landowners to say hello and keep my foot in the door. Most landowners are receptive to the contact and, generally speaking, appreciate the fact you’re willing to go the extra mile. Persistent (though not too persistent) contact often pays off, an approach that can spark some genuine, lasting friendships. It certainly has for me.

Don’t contact a landowner in the wee hours of the morning. Wait for a decent hour before you pull into the driveway and ask for permission. Be ready to tell the landowner how many are in your hunting party and never, ever lie about it. That’s a recipe for getting a free pass off his property, and forever.

On first encounters, I like to meet the landowner, look him in the eye and shake his hand (no wimpy handshakes, either). Once you’ve gotten permission to hunt a time or two, I believe it is fine to ask for permission again over the phone. Be polite and courteous and be prepared to refresh the landowner’s memory about who you are.

# Private land behavior. Hunters must respect the land on which they’re hunting. That means following the rules, and not making them up as you go along. If you ask for permission to hunt ducks, hunt ducks. If you say you won’t drive in his fields, don’t drive in his fields. If the landowner doesn’t want you hunting from his standing corn, don’t hunt from his standing corn. And just because you got permission to hunt once doesn’t mean you have a free pass for the entire season, let alone the following year.

Vehicle traffic is a big, big issue, because if you’re driving across pasture or grassland, especially during a drought, a hot exhaust system can start a fire very quickly (I’ve seen it happen, and it isn’t pretty). Also, landowners are extremely worried about the spread of noxious weeds, which can cost them big bucks to eradicate. Be sure to check your vehicle’s undercarriage (and your trailer, if you’re carrying one) for any weeds. Also, take great pains not to tear up muddy fields and roads. If you’re field-hunting waterfowl and the field in question is muddy, transport your equipment the old-fashioned way: on foot.

Landowners often reward good behavior—and a common, courteous touch. Send a “thank you” note after the hunt, and be sure to ask the landowner if he’d like to share in the spoils of your hunt. For example, a freshly cleaned mallard, tucked neatly into a Ziploc bag, is a nice gesture and promotes good will down the road. A case of beer (or some other gift) isn’t a bad idea, either. A friend of mine sends Christmas cards, a good idea too. In years past, I helped a rancher repair his fence across his entire spread before the hunting season commenced. Not only did he appreciate the help (which I offered), I got to scout too!

Bottom line: Reward landowner generosity by being generous yourself.

In the end, hunters should appreciate the contributions of farmers, ranchers and other landowners. While many provide us a place to hunt, they also provide the necessary habitat we need for wildlife to survive and thrive. After all, roughly 90 percent of all ducks are hatched on private land.

Hunters and farmers can harmoniously coexist if we hunters follow the rules and demonstrate to farmers that we genuinely respect their property and their willingness to let us hunt. We’ll occasionally get rebuffed—even from a tantalizing mallard honey hole,  from the cab of a combine—but that’s just part of the deal.

1 comment:

  1. Some very good idea's...I do the same for Bow hunting for Deer.
    Thanx for the Tips...Hope other Hunters take note !!!

    ReplyDelete