Wednesday, November 30, 2011

One Year Later: Remembering Buddy


He died on a Wednesday at 8:47 a.m. 

I hustled Buddy’s 68 pounds from my truck’s passenger seat into the vet’s office and laid him on the stainless steel table, his aged and atrophied body on full display. 

I can still feel him cradled in my arms, how his dead weight felt heavier than I expected. 

He could no longer walk or control any of his bodily functions. His breathing was sporadic and labored. For each breath, his diaphragm would hit bottom with a muffled thud and contract ever so slightly. He moaned with each exhale, like he had repeatedly the night before. 

“He won’t feel a thing,” said the veterinarian. “He’ll drift off like he’s going to sleep. He won’t feel a thing.” 

As Buddy lay on the table, I looked into his eyes, his cold nose pressed against my own. Buddy had that unmistakable 10,000-mile stare, the kind soldiers get when they’ve seen too much combat. Buddy’s eyes were glossy and lifeless and resigned. The cancer, diagnosed only two short weeks before, was, little by little, stealing him from me.   


The vet inserted the needle into his right leg. Buddy did not flinch.  He just stared into my eyes, existing, as he was, in that borderland between life and death.  

“It won’t be long now,” said the vet, his stethoscope listening to Buddy’s waning heartbeat. “It won’t be long.” 

When Buddy was eight months old, he made his first retrieve. It was a dandy, though not by design. I was hunting the flood plain of the James River, near Aberdeen, South Dakota. The river’s main stem was a watery tempest, swollen and roiling, deep and dangerous. The shallow, docile water that spilled over its banks created perfect waterfowl habitat, and the blue-winged teal that took refuge there were as thick as summertime mosquitoes. 

I had Buddy on a check chord, staked into the muddy ground behind my makeshift blind. I wanted him to observe, absorb and learn. 

The morning was shaping up nicely. I killed two drake blue-wings right away, and retrieved them myself as Buddy looked on from behind the blind. He marked both birds, and his quivering body language (and occasional whimpering) suggested he didn’t much like or appreciate being corkscrewed into the ground. 

Buddy had freedom on his mind. 

After I retrieved the second bird, a lone Canada goose glided silently into shooting range. I didn’t see the bird right away, but Buddy did. He sat statuesque in the blind, his head swiveling slightly as he tracked the birds’ flight path, his tail, like a windshield wiper, fanning the muddy ground. 

When I shouldered my shotgun the bird was already behind the blind and heading toward the river. The smart move, in hindsight, would have been to pass on the shot. I didn’t. Instead, as if driven by Pavlovian instinct, I snapped off a round and winged the bird. 

A sick feeling instantly came over me: The birds’ downward trajectory suggested it would land in the pulsing river, and it did.

It did with an echoing splash that seemed to distill all of Buddy’s disparate thoughts into a singular motivation: retrieving that lone, winged Canada goose. 

In a fit of puppy pique, Buddy rocketed from the blind, pulled up the stake from the muddy ground, and was off, the check chord and stake bouncing wildly behind him like beer cans dangling from a wedding-day car. 

Freedom sometimes has its price, and I was instantly worried the river’s mercurial current would swallow him whole. 

A British Labrador, Buddy was smaller and less overtly high strung compared to most American-bred Labs. Still, his passion for retrieving (dummies all, at least until this day) could not be satiated. When a bird was down, he always summoned the inner drive to do what he was bred—and loved—to do. 

Buddy dove into the river and, seemingly in seconds, had the withering Canada goose in his mouth. He swam with a cocksureness and athleticism that I’ll never forget. 

Buddy ambled up the modest river bank with ease, his glossy black coat and rippled muscles glistening in the morning sun. He never once dropped the big bird, the size of which blotted him (head and body) out completely. It was a sight to see. 

Seconds later, Buddy dropped the bird near the blind. It would have been perfect had he delivered it to hand like he had been taught. Still, perfection has many incarnations, and Buddy’s retrieve was perfection enough for me. And him too, I dare say. 

It cost me $130 dollars to kill my dog, to have him interred into ash, to act as God’s proxy. For genuine dog lovers, there is no preparation for such trauma.

It’s hard to love so deeply, to care so much, but even harder to let go. A year after his death, the vestiges of Buddy’s life still surround my own. Many haunt me. 

I cleaned out the bed of my truck the other day and found Buddy everywhere. 

The black and gray hair. 

His old throw-dummies. 

A muddy paw print. 

A half-empty carton of his favorite liver snacks. 

His dog dishes. 

The old check cord and stake. 

Sometimes a storm grows inside me when I think of Buddy. It’s an emotion without a name. My mind can wonder from our countless good times together and, in a flash, be trumped by the events leading up to his death. It’s difficult to reconcile. 

I know now what I wish I had known then: that I should have had him put him to sleep a day earlier, sparing him a night of immeasurable pain and suffering. 

My best friend, a very smart girl, has told me on occasion that I have to let go and be thankful for the joyous life we lived together. She is right, of course. But how? 

As Buddy lay on that stainless steel table; as we looked into each other’s eyes, his cold nose pressed against my own, I asked my dying Lab for forgiveness.  

In that moment, he did for me what he knew I could not do for myself.

26 comments:

  1. Fantastic writing. Could really feel your heart in this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A great tribute Mr. McCormick!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can feel you.I have a 13 year old lab that is struggling.I told my wife I think I am going to have to put him down,what a hard decision.Thanks this helps me know what is the right thing to do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very sad. Wonderfully written. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i know the feeling i have recently lost all three of my labs. its like loosing a best friend. beautiful writting,i hope you get better with this. thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow , wonderfully writen god bless buddy
    sacha haineault qc canada

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have felt the same loneliness 3 times in my life, all you can do is remember the good times.
    God Bless all dogs

    ReplyDelete
  8. I put my Chesapeake, Splash down 22 years ago and I still miss her.
    She loved to duck hunt and was my best friend for 14 years.
    I mounted the last duck she retrieved and still look at it al the time.
    My vet sent me a condolence card with the note:

    ....Grieve not,
    nor speak of me with tears,
    but laugh and talk of me
    as if I were beside you...
    I loved you so -
    'twas Heaven here with you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The storm without a name I know all too well. I had my own dog "Lily" die in my arms in the middle of the living room floor on Sept. 25th, this year. For two weeks I slept on the floor with her, never to leave her alone without the kindness of a neighbor or family with her in that time. That was the least I could do for her. Almost 17 years we spent together. Far from a purebread I found her alone starved, full of ticks and scarred within from abuse in the middle of the forest on my drive home from a friends. It took over 20 min in the rain to get her to trust and come to me. I scooped her up into my Paramedic jacket I had on the back seat and off we went to find a vet to see her. She had over 50 ticks we would pull from her that very visit. Only to find more over the next weeks that were too small but as they grew would fall off to the floor. I had fed her and loved her and she quickly became part of our family...my best friend. She even alerted us in the night when our other dog was having a seizure downstairs. After that when ever she came and needed my attention I followed. So as you read, I remember even after all these years her 1 day with me, as well as her last days. I miss her so. I heart still heavy. But when I received her ashes, I also had some put within a cross that I wear every day, and sleep with every night. I hold it when I need to touch her, it has helped tremendously to have that with me everyday. While not a year yet, I certainly understand how you feel. As for having to have Buddy put down, I did Jesse, the dog with the seizures. He was 14 and a wonderful dog as well. It's not easy, but with Lily, I know that wasn't what was to be. Thank you for your story. What friends our pets truly are. -Tina White

    ReplyDelete
  10. They are a family member.BEST FRIEND-Hunting Buddy--When I lost my two Lab's . It is a hard thing to do..But They will never be forgotten,Got a new one to help ease the pain,
    Excellent story Tori.....

    ReplyDelete
  11. I lost Pendleton 1991, then Cappy& Dakota in 2003 3 labs. This is a tribute them and all other dogs we love or loved.It never gets easier but I have 2 other dogs now so i guess I will go through it again but it is worth it.
    Here is a quote from a fellow called Plutarch.
    A good man will take care of his horses and dogs,not only while they are young, but also when they are passed service.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Heartfelt and beautifully expressed. Brought back painful memories. On my fourth Lab, the third was the toughest. Chickened out, made my daughter take him (Deke) to the vet to be put down. I never gave him the chance to forgive me, now I have to live with it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I understand everything you just wrote. My first lab went through the same thing. My vet was coming to the house the next day but my best friend spared me that however as he always did he gave more than he ever got. He hadn't moved much in two days but the night he passed he pulled himself up and walked into daughter number 1's room and laid down for 30 minutes then he did this two more times before coming back into the room with my wife and I. He walked over to the side of the bed and grabbed my hand in his mouth almost pulling me to the floor. Crying like a baby I laid on the floor with my head on his chest like we had done a million times but this time he never woke up. This happened in the middle of December almost 9 years ago and there isn't a day that passes when I don't think of the best friend I have ever known.

    ReplyDelete
  14. A very touching, heartfelt story and one that I lived in 2008 with my beloved 11 yr. old male. I had him 9 days from the time he showed signs of something wrong. After diagnosis by my vet, a re-evaluation by OSU Vets and a 2nd trip up to Oh. State Univ. animal hospital in 8 of those days I took him on his final ride to my vets. He had Leukemia and there was no hope of saving him. God Bless all of our wonderful companions that give us so much joy and love. May we meet at the Rainbow Bridge one day.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wonderfully written. Have had to put severasl of my prior years best friends down also.... facing the similar situation again this year. I was given the news that my latest best friend had no ball joints left in either hip. Researched the alternative of hip replacement and healing. Now to make the choice of more surgery, pain, healing or natural aging.

    ReplyDelete
  16. It just pulls your heart out. Dog years being what they are they give you 7 fold in their short time. It's what makes them so damn irreplaceable.

    ReplyDelete
  17. We remember them when they were puppies, middle aged and when they got old and died. We never forget them. They're gone but their paw prints remain on our hearts forever.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Many comments have been made about how well your story was written. All but the part of you "killing your dog". You did the correct thing by putting your dog out of its pain and suffering. We can do this to our pets but not to our loved ones who can tell us how much pain they are in. We know our pets and when they are not having any more fun in life, and it is up to us to do the wright thing by having them put to sleep. This may sound morbid but I did this just to remember my best friend Bailey. She had bone cancer and I knew the day was coming. I got my family together for one last photo on the lawn before going to the vet. I know it is a hard thing to do putting your best friend to sleep but the day after when I looked at the photo I took on the lawn you could see the pain in her eyes and at that moment I knew that I had done the humane thing.
    A Dog's Plea

    Treat me kindly, my beloved friend, for no heart in all the world is
    more grateful for kindness than the loving heart in me.

    Do not break my spirit with a stick, for though I might lick your hand
    between blows, your patience and understanding will more quickly
    teach me the things you would have me learn.

    Speak to me often because your voice is the world's sweetest music,
    as you must know by the fierce wagging of my tail when your
    footsteps fall upon my waiting ear.

    Please take me inside when it is cold and wet. I am a domesticated
    animal, no longer accustomed to bitter elements. I ask no greater
    glory then the privilege of sitting at your feet beside the hearth.

    Keep my pan filled with fresh water, for I cannot tell you
    When I thirst.

    Feed me clean food that I may stay well, to romp and play and
    do the bidding, to walk by your side, and stand ready, willing
    and able to protect you with my life, should your life be in danger.

    And, my friend, when I am very old, and no longer enjoy good health, hearing,
    and sight, do not make heroic efforts to keep me going. I am not having fun.
    Please see that my trusting life is taken gently.

    I shall leave this earth knowing with the last breath I draw
    that my fate always safest in your hands.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Very touching story; something we know about, but dread to think about. Gauge, my oldest lab, is in the golden years and I know I must do what is best for him and not necessarily what I may hope and unrealistically dream of....

    ReplyDelete
  20. I to lost my best friend the 6th of october this year. saydi was her name and if she would have made it to february she would have been 16. she was a germen short hair, the best waterfowl dog I have ever had ! I say had becouse It's up in the air just who owned who, but never the less we where a teem, if I or someone missed a duck she would bring back the M-T hul and put in the pale and bay at the shoter as to point out that thy where not doing there part, I never figered out if she was just helping use keep huls picked up or keeping score. I could write a book about her and our adventures who knows I mite. any way I loved her miss her very much.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow...what timing to read your story....I needed to read this.....we lost Luke this past Friday night. He was 8 months old and the loviest lab I have ever seen......we live in the country, and for some unknown reason bolted over the hill and got on the road......hit by a truck.....we were shell shocked.....we just lost part of our family......buried Luke in the back yard.....and today we purchased a new chocolate lab....it helps the healing process. We lab lovers are also a special breed......Luke and Buddy filled our lives with love....thanks for your story....it is helping me heal

    ReplyDelete
  22. I was just looking over the web site and thought..... I will read this quick.... I guess not! Just cried like a little baby.... we had an accident in our town lately where a guy and his dog just drown in a lake hunting. I have been so bothered since that happened.Sat my family down and talked about it. We have lab and we love him like one of our children. We talked about what if he feel in and we were faced with the choice of saving him and risking our life..... we don't think you think about yourself...... it was a really hard discussion, I'm sure more so for that family. We came to what everyone would do and why I sat quietly thinking.... there is absoulutly no way I could walk away.....

    ReplyDelete
  23. I had to have my lab Bart put down this past July.The worst part is,I was at work and couldn't leave.I had to have my mother take him to the vet to have it done.We had him cremated,and have his ashes at home in a prominant place.So he will always be with us in spirit.The urn and ashes will be a reminder,along with the pictures and memories.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Glee Henrichs WilliamsDecember 10, 2011 at 7:55 PM

    Tori, Your care and love really comes through. I am sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Tori,I feel your pain.We had a scottish terrior named Buster.We got him when he was about a month old.He and I were inseperable.In november of this year He was diagnosed with cushings disase.I spent the last two nights of His life mostly on the floor with Him trying to comfort Him.I knew this day was comin,but you can never prepare for it.I would have given my life for Him.On november 12 we had to put Him down at our home,we wanted Him to be as comfortable as possible.I have never cried like this in my life,I still cry.When the vet got to our house,I laid Him on his bed as the vet gave Him the shot I told Him I loved Him And kissed Him goodbye.He rest on the mantle above our fireplace now.I walk down the driveway every day just like we used to do.As Ecclesiastes 3-19 says For people and animals share the same fate,they came from dust and return to dust.I have no doubt that we will reunited in a real place called HEAVEN. GOD BLESS,Dennis

    ReplyDelete